Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Roasted Chicken and Mashed Potatoes

First off I'd like to say i somewhat followed like 6 different recipes-- I have some very picky eaters in my house and have to satisfy all of them to feed everyone the same meal.

1) IN order to satisfy my biggest critic (my boyfriend) the chicken had to have CRISPY skin, which resulted in me making my first compound butter- the easiest part of the entire dish!

To Make:
1 stick salted butter
2 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed rosemary
Soften butter, and mix in spices, fairly simple and I use dry spices. I aimed to let the spices sit in the softened butter as my first task at hand so they could merry as I prepped the chicken leg quarters.

2) When working with chicken I always try to scrub it clean... I rinse under cold water, take a little white vinegar and rinse it in that, then pat dry with a paper towel.
             -After cleaning the chicken, it's important you trim the extra fat/skin sometimes there is a flap sometimes just a little bit-- your trimming the fat because your leaving majority of the skin on the top and the extra fat just takes up more room in the pan and makes more grease.

3) I used chicken leg quarters. I separated the skin from the thigh and leg, making a small pocket so i could rub my compound butter all over the chicken. With the small remainder of the mixture i spread it on the top of the chicken for a little extra umph. I also wanted to see what would happen when using Paprika, so I sprinkled some on top assuming it was going to give me the bronzing I was looking for.

4) Preheat oven to 400 F, and place chicken on middle rack for 1 hour. After one hour I like to rotate my pan half way so everything is cooked evenly. (Not necessary)

5) Cut a small slice into the thigh and a small slice into the leg on your biggest piece of chicken-- chicken isn't done until juices run clear.

Allow your chicken to rest before serving. But whats chicken without a good gravy to go along side it?













Attempt #1: I followed an online recipe on how to make instant gravy with pan drippings... awful mess! It was like frying flour.. not only was it looking nasty but smelled nasty also! Two thumbs DOWN!









Attempt #2: Attempt 2 looked and smelled better was rich and creamy-- but after looking at the first one nobody was interested in the gravy-- so it went down the drain, but this one I made according to the directions on an instant brown gravy packet... I think it was a go.. I'd advise to purchase gravy from a jar if your a beginner like myself..








As for the mashed potatoes.. Boil a pot of water, and add some kosher salt, cut 2-3 of whatever potatoes you have into one inch cubes (I keep a 5LB bag of baking potatoes around at all times) boil them until they're fork tender--roughly 10 mins-- add 2 tbsps of butter and a splash of cream, half and half or milk what ever you have- mash with potato masher or like I do, mash with a whisk.

Very simple, Very easy, and VERY YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment